June 10, 2009

Getting it.

For the past several months I have taken a leave from my previous career in real estate - 15 or so years in which I have seen ups and downs in the market with extraordinary price rises and drops and many interesting situations. My clients always received my best advice and insight. I've also had the pleasure of meeting and working with some pretty remarkable folks and making quite a few friends. Yet, there was always something unsettling about much of it. I wasn't following advice I always gave: "Do what you love and everything you need will follow". I certainly did this during my previous career in law enforcement with Connecticut's largest municipality; it was a vocation, not a job. Somehow, I just wasn't "getting it".

It's funny what will bring about a decision or a life change. Debbie and I had been searching for a piece of furniture for some time. We both love older American furniture - and a bargain. We found just the right piece in a little shop in upstate Connecticut, nestled within the town's antique alley. After several return visits and even a stint running the shop while the owner went out of town for a week, I got the feeling that I was onto something. Well, after much discussion with Debbie and also with my long-time friend, mentor and first boss in real estate, Joe Formato, I knew what I had to do.

So, here we are, just one month into my business: Redeux Vintage Furniture. Combining all of my skills from previous jobs and careers, combing through every possible source for just the right piece of furniture, taking it back to "the shop", fixing, cleaning and bringing it back to life and offering it for sale to just the right buyer has become, so far, more than I hoped for. The help and encouragement I have received from everyone has been both surprising and overwhelming. My decision to work with only American made furniture and lighting is not only my great interest but also seems the right thing to do, especially in these times. Everyone that comes into the shop is amazed at the quality and beauty of each piece. They come away, whether they buy then or not, with a little bit of American history - the story of how America built the best, to last a lifetime.

And, once again, I am getting it".

No comments: