June 29, 2009

Experimentation

Experimentation has been the driving force at Redeux this past week as has been the continuing urge to revive some very distressed items.

I’ve been trying to come up with a standard finish for the pieces that need it. This may be impossible because of the differing types of woods in the furniture we get. Still, I’m trying to formulate a low-luster finish that will bring out the deep tones within the woods without being an obvious presence. I’m trying differing mixes of shellac, a special varnish and, of course, Tung oil. This last finish could only be applied over completely stripped wood or wood that was never given a coat of the other finishes. Whatever I come up with, it will enhance the look of each piece. Never fear, polyurethane will never be used at Redeux.

This weekend I was given a small wheeled-leg chest / cabinet to perform some type of magic on. Keeping in mind that I am not in the refinishing business, I wonder why I keep taking in these little orphans. But I do and am usually glad I did. This piece dates from about 1900-1930. When finished it should make a nice addition to a den, office, hallway – anywhere an interesting piece is needed for storage or display. Stop by this week and see how this project comes along.

Most of the lamps, table and other items that came in last week are now priced and ready for sale. Very different.

The Redeux wish list is growing from all of our customers letting me know what it is they are looking for.
We were asked for oak bureaus/chests and we got a nice one in as well as an interesting piece for a coffee table.

We will be open Saturday July 4th from 9-3:00 or so.
As a recognition of our fellow citizens who are serving in the Armed Forces, any Active Duty/ Reserve military will receive a special thank you at our shop this Friday or Saturday.

Thank you all again for helping to make Redeux such a success and joy!

Bill Giblin

No comments: